Saturday, October 6, 2012

Learning to Garden

pink rose

yellow daisy flowers

purple aster flowers

Since we moved into a house with all kinds of lovely plants growing all around it, I'm attempting to learn how to not kill everything. I'm already having a terrible time keeping up with the gardening, and am still trying to get the bugs and some other problems under control. The previous owner of our house left us an AMAZING binder full of info about all the plants and when they were planted but I really needed more about the troubleshooting aspect of gardening. We got a great organic gardening book, Rodale's Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, from friends as a housewarming gift which has been super informative and interesting, but I also picked up the Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Gardening at a thrift store which has been tremendously helpful to a newbie like me. 
   

The only problem is that the book REEKS of cigarette smoke! So, if anyone knows how to febreeze a book, let me know! In the meantime, I'll be trying to air it out in the garden. Next, I want to pick up a copy of The Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Make the Most of Your Growing Season maybe to help plan our vegetable garden once Jordan gets around to building the planters for it. I also bought some bulbs that I'll be planting this month so hopefully we'll have a whole bunch of pretty new flowers in the Spring too!

I do have to say, the worst part for me about the gardening so far is the bugs and creatures. There is a crazy food chain that goes on in our yard's eco-system. We have tons of teeny little bugs that attract spiders, and we have so many spiders, which attracts wasps, and we have birds and humming birds and crows and butterflies, and I think there was a gopher in the neighborhood that has since moved on. I even found this creepy dried up little guy last weekend... and I'm hoping that wherever his family is that they have followed the gopher away from our yard!

dried up dead baby snake


No comments:

Post a Comment